Yesterday, while delivering food baskets financed by our generous sponsors, we stopped at the house where “Al” lives. Al comes to tutoring during the school year as well as summer camp. He is one of the sweetest, best-mannered, lovable nine-year-olds you will ever meet. Al lives with his “godmother” Ruth because his mom is incapable of caring for him.
As we delivered their food basket, Ruth overflowed with thanks and praise for all Jesus Project and Apple Street Learning Center have meant to her and Al. She thanked us for the tutoring, the snacks, the nightly take-home sandwiches and the help with school projects. She recalled how much Al enjoyed summer camp and all he learned there.
I wish you could have heard Ruth’s words firsthand. Her gratitude was over-the-top. It is truly your generous support that makes this possible. Al and Ms. Ruth are just an example of the children and families you have helped this year through your generosity:
- 83 students have been tutored in the past three months
- 105 children came to the free summer camp
- 350 children received the backpacks and school supplies they needed
- 43 families – which is well over 200 people received all of the fixins they need for a Thanksgiving dinner
- 200 people had a beautiful time at the Cajun Thanksgiving last Saturday
- 5000 of healthy snacks for the summer camp and after-school program
- 12 JSTEP teenagers learned how to lead and the value of money by money provided for stipends for their summer Junior Internship program
Thanksgiving is a time to reflect, in gratitude, for those who make a difference in our lives. So we thank you and wish you and your loved ones a very happy Thanksgiving.
Debra, Rachel, and Sarah